|Job Title||Software Developer|
|Working Title||Software Developer|
|FLSA Code||Computer Employee|
|Patient Sensitive Job Code?||No|
|Standard Hours per Week||40|
|Full Time or Part Time?||Full Time|
|Work Schedule Summary|
|Department||00810 - Scient Comp & Imag Instit-Oper|
|City||Salt Lake City, UT|
|Type of Recruitment||External Posting|
|Pay Rate Range||60000 to 70000|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Job Summary||This is a coding role that needs a strong understanding of PHP, Python and MySQL or PostgreSQL. Consult with users and staff to identify and specify requirements for software applications and technical solutions in support of complex processes and business needs.
Evaluate your solutions across multiple platforms, browsers, for performance and reliability.
Analyze, design and develop test cases and implement automated functional tests.
Resolve complex technical issues in existing applications.
Developing cross-browser, cross-platform, cross-device compatible solutions.
Performs ongoing support and maintenance for systems and related applications.
Handle day-to-day tasks such as server image configurations, system installations, patching, application deployment, and other routine maintenance.
Monitor security alerts to ensure that appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion.
• Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
• 2 years system administration or other relevant experience required with Linux systems
• Network engineering concepts (e.g. Firewalls, LDAP, DNS, DHCP)
• Experience in automation using languages, such as shell (bash), Python, PHP, or Ruby.
|Minimum Qualifications||Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency and 3-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• 4+ years of Linux Systems Administration experience required.
• Computer science degree or related experience preferred but not required.
• A talent for debugging issues across the stack, from application code to host-level problems.
• Strong knowledge of Linux System Administration (prefer RedHat Linux).
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of managing server environment (physical/virtual), operating systems, and networking standards.
• Proficiency with shell scripting and automation using an interpretive language such as Python, PHP.
• Solid grasp of TCP/IP, DHCP, LDAP, and other networking principles.
|Special Instructions Summary|
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a related Bachelor's degree or equivalency? (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education)
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Appropriate discharge document (such as a DD-214 – Member Copy 4) – Veteran Only – Call 801.581.2169
- Addendum to the University of Utah - Veteran Only - Call 801.581.2169 after submission